evelynner

Scottish Bookworm in Quebec

A book and eReader review blog

Outlander
Diana Gabaldon
La justice céleste
Anne Robillard

A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time)

A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time) - 'Robert Jordan',  'Brandon Sanderson' I felt it was a fitting and appropriate ending to the saga of the Wheel of Time.Among the many highlights for me were Lan's storyline, Olver's new role and the conclusion of Rand's tale. All of these sequences were beautiful, exquisitely written and emotionally satisfying. I also really loved the characters of Pevara and Androl - it's been a while since I've felt so invested in literary characters. Often I felt more invested in their relationship than in many of the main characters. Real kudos to Brandon. I enjoyed the real character development of these two. The whole Black Tower storyline was a joy to read.The fact that Team Dark finally brought its A game to the table this book was much appreciated. This was the first time I felt that Team Dark was actually in with a chance to defeat Team Light. Graendal's efforts in particular were a master stroke.Having said that, I was unhappy about certain aspects of the book. One of these was Egwene's character development and her relationship with Egeanin. Egwene's long-standing, bone-deep hatred of the Seanchan was dealt with far too quickly and easily. This should have been built up better.Another aspect I didn't feel came off as well as the authors perhaps hoped was the battle of wits between Mat and Demandred. I have the impression that this was intended to be a chess match between Grand Masters, but it didn't quite come off. I'm also not sure if it was intended to be like the battle at Falme where the physical battle mirrored Rand's battle with Ishamael in the sky, but I didn't see that.All in all, I was delighted in how this book unfolded, and give great kudos to Team Jordan for a satisfying ending to one of my favourite series.